My employer, 5Q Communications, is very generous. Normally we get to use 1 hour out of our regular work time for learning something of our choice that will benefit the company. This quarter all full-time employees were given 8 hours of extra learning time as a reward for meeting our company-wide goal for milestones.
I have chosen and been approved to use my 8 hours in one lump to work on adding some new features to my open-source project Sheepology. Since the goal here is to learn something, I plan to add features using technologies I haven’t used and don’t know yet.
Since this is a sprint I’ll create a list of things I want to do that is longer than what I have time for and work through the list till I run out of time. I want to have my projects planned well in advance so I won’t waste my 8rs. I also need to import some membership data before the sprint. On my list are the following.
- Donations using Google Checkout, Paypal, or similar
- Integration with Google Apps including things like single-sign-on, contact synchronization, menu integration, etc.
- Integration with Facebook using Facebook Connect or something similar
- producing printable reports using something like Geraldo Reports
- inter-parish/diocesan communication via AMQP (see qpid or rabbitmq)
That should be quite a bit more than I can do in 8rs.